Uniface is a rapid application development (RAD) platform that has been around for over 30 years. It has a loyal following of developers who appreciate its ease of use and powerful capabilities. However, as technology continues to evolve, there is a growing need to modernise Uniface applications to keep pace with changing business needs and user expectations.
Why Modernise Uniface Applications?
There are several reasons why you might want to modernise your Uniface applications:
- User Expectations: As users become accustomed to modern, intuitive interfaces, they expect the same from all applications they use. If your Uniface application has a clunky, outdated interface, users may be hesitant to use it.
- Integration: In today’s business environment, applications need to be able to integrate with other systems and services. If your Uniface application can’t easily integrate with other systems, it may be limiting your business’s ability to collaborate and innovate.
- Maintenance: As your Uniface application ages, it may become increasingly difficult and expensive to maintain. Modernising your application can make it easier to maintain and support in the long run.
- Security: Older applications may be vulnerable to security threats that didn’t exist when they were first developed. Modernising your Uniface application can help ensure that it’s as secure as possible.
If you’ve decided that modernising your Uniface application is the right choice, you have several options to choose from:
- Re-Platforming: This involves moving your Uniface application to a modern platform, such as the cloud or a more modern server. Re-platforming can help improve scalability, availability, and performance.
- Re-Architecting: Involves redesigning the architecture of your Uniface application to better align with modern development practices. It can help improve agility and enable easier integration with other systems.
- Re-Engineering: Involves refactoring your Uniface application’s code to make it more maintainable, scalable, and secure. It can help extend the life of your application and reduce technical debt.
- Re-Designing: This involves redesigning the user interface of your Uniface application to make it more modern and intuitive. It can help improve user adoption and satisfaction.
Modernising your Uniface application can help ensure that it remains relevant and useful for years to come. Whether you choose to re-platform, re-architect, re-engineer, or re-design your application, the benefits can be significant. If you’re not sure where to start, consider working with a modernisation partner who can help guide you through the process and ensure that your application is modernised in a way that best meets your business needs like Software Imaging.